Kitchen remodeling was one of the most desired home projects in 2017 and it’s a good way to add value to your home. But, you want to make sure that you are setting yourself up for success before demolishing your existing kitchen cabinets and floors. Follow these do’s and don’ts to create the dream kitchen you’ve always wanted the appropriate way:
- Do some research to make sure you are hiring a qualified contractor. Browse reviews online, ask your friends and peers for recommendations, and don’t settle just because one contractor has the lowest bid.
- Consider your kitchen must-haves—do you want your kitchen to be energy efficient? Have a certain finish or countertop material? Do you want to have high-tech appliances?
- Figure out what the most sensible floor plan would be for your kitchen space. Keep it functional and efficient with plenty of storage and countertop space that meets your needs and the needs of your household. What do you want to get out of the space? How do you spend most of your time in the kitchen? Cooking? Entertaining? Spending time with your family?
- Store all your receipts. Have them in a safe place to pull out when filing your taxes or to use when you are ready to sell your home in the future.
- Focus solely on the aesthetic of your new kitchen—shiny countertops or a perfect color palette aren’t the most vital things about your new kitchen. Make sure the quality of your cabinets, countertops and replacement windows is high to keep your kitchen functioning efficiently for years to come.
- Forget to consider the budget! Stay on budget by prioritizing based on your needs and what features are highest on your list. We recommend budgeting at least 10 percent more than what you think you’ll need so you can cover unforeseen costs during the remodeling process.
- Forget to consider windows! Pella Windows and Doors has a range of excellent kitchen window styles that can tie in an entire kitchen remodel.
One of the most important items of a kitchen remodeling project is the windows—they offer light into your space, set the tone for the room and give you a gateway to the outdoors, which really feels nice when there’s a cool breeze on a summer day. If you are considering replacement windows as a part of your kitchen remodel, give our team at Pella Windows and Doors a call at 989-317-2558, check out our Mt. Pleasant showroom or schedule an in-home consultation with us online so we can help you choose the right replacement windows for your kitchen needs.